Monday, October 24, 2016

LIttle blessings

This morning I had to run to Kwip Trip for air in my tires today. I had to run in for a minute and was feeling some kind of way about that.  While entering ...I passed by an older woman with my Grandma Nickel's eyes.

I wanted to stop and tell her, 'You have my Grandma's eyes!" Or honestly, give her a hug.  But I just smiled at her and kept walking.  I even glanced back but she was already scurrying on her way.  While inside the gas station I just had this warm sense of peace and contentment.  It made me smile some more.

My Grandma was not a perfect person by any means. I think it's important that we remember the whole of a situation.  We actually just talked about that yesterday during house church.  I'm not trying to paint a perfect picture of a saint.  But what she was?

Was an encourager. 
Every little thing you did...was amazing. 
Every little thing you cooked....was scrumptious.
Every little thing you said...was brilliant.

And a grace giver.
When you messed up....she didn't question.
When you lost your cool....she never judged.
When you pulled back...she gave you space.

She forgave much and overcame much in her life.  I never heard her blame others or make excuses for things in her life that hadn't been perfect.  I also never heard her chastise anyone for the choices they made or problems they caused.  Even when she might ask, 'why?' It wasn't from a place of condemnation but serious questioning to understand and empathize.

All of this and more was running through my head as I ran in the gas station.  I'm sure I had a permagrin on my face. I said a little internal thanks to God for such sweet memories in my soul this day. 

What a surprise as I came back out the door, that there she was! Standing between the building and my car. The sweet older woman with my Grandma's eyes.

As she saw me approaching, she reached out her hand and touched my forearm.  And she smiled with my Grandma's eyes and she said, 'Oh pretty, blue is YOUR color!'  It was just like my Grandma would. Alth0ugh she likely would have said, 'Pretty, pretty.'  She had a thing for saying compliments double.

But wearing a basic blue fleece Columbia vest and basic black pants and top. Not feeling particularly special or pretty?  Suddenly I stood a little taller and smiled a little bigger and breathed a little fuller.  And my eyes welled.

I thanked her and blessed her in as causal of a way as I could.

And I got in my car.
And I looked in my rearview mirror.
And she was gone.
And I looked back at myself.
And I gave thanks to God.


That's what I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment