Thursday, April 12, 2012

I wanna be for and not against....

I recently heart T.D. Jakes say this in an interview, "I want to be known for what I am for, rather than what I am against."

I love this statement.  And have been thinking about it the past few days since I heard it.

And I realize that surface level it might seem contrite...like a yin yang....if you are "for" this...then you are likely still "against" the same things you were against before.  But I think it's deeper than that.

We spend a lot of time worrying about what we are against.  It's how we explain our religious views, it's how we explain our political views, it's how we choose where to send our kids to school, where to live, who to have as friends, etc. etc.

But what if instead of being quick to point out what's wrong with other perspectives...why we can't stand something....how a viewpoint is wrong....we can't believe anyone would feel that way....we shared what we are against in a way that didn't degrade, denounce or disrespect others?

It takes much of the anger out of debates and discussion if we express our opinions as what we are for instead of what we are against.  We might even find that in some areas we actually are for the same thing...we just don't agree on how it plays out.

I am for love.  Period.  I can't claim to love Christ and the gospel and then say, post, or write messages of hate.  I can't be for love and then turn around and justify hate.  Love is a choice and so I must constantly self check am I loving.  Love wins.

I am for giving.  If I have something it is likely I won't have it for long because I'll probably give it away...lol.  Details don't matter much to me and what I'm giving doesn't much either.  Money, stuff, time, myself... I always tell myself scripture doesn't say that the Samaritan asked the man in the road a lot of questions before he gave him help.  He just helped.  He didn't find out why he was in the road and then decide if it warranted his help.  He saw the need and gave.

I am for unity.  I believe true, authentic unity happens not by everyone thinking, looking and acting the same but because even with different perspectives, lifestyles, culture and passions there is like-mindedness in acceptance.  (Love helps with this incidentally.)  I love respectful debate and hard conversations.  I love understanding where someone is coming from and having them understand you as well.

I've got a lot more thinking to do on this.  I've been chewing on it for days and think that I likely will continue to.

But that's what I got today.




1 comment: