Sunday, August 4, 2013

The next level.

Since becoming a believer 15+ years ago, I have always loved three books in the Bible the most.  (I'm not sure if it's sacreligious or not to have a 'favorite', but...) Psalms, Romans and Philippians.  Psalms because during times of deep depression I found such peace and comfort there.  Philippians because when I first began to truly transform I found encouragement and accountability there.  And Romans.  Romans 12 to be exact.  And I guess because it's been a pattern for where I keep returning to when I need a lil reminder to get right and act right.

If you've never read Romans...I encourage you to.  No matter what your thoughts are about Jesus and the Bible being the word of God...it's a good word.  It's a reminder that life is not about us.  The entire American concept of get yours, look out for #1...do everything we can to combat that with love, service, humility.

Romans 12:1-2 says, Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Not sure what that is saying?

A living sacrifice.  What is a sacrifice? A loss.  Something that is given up for the good of a better cause.  Or given up to pay homage to a deity.  If I am to offer my body as a living sacrifice---in a desire to worship God---I had better know what is pleasing to God.  Denying myself.  Resisting the temptation of sin.  Living obediently.  

Do not conform to this world.  My thoughts, my goals, my desires will not look like and should not look like what the world looks like.  The world values outward appearance.  Scripture tells me that God looks at the heart of a man.  Status does not matter.  Financial security does not matter. Position does not matter.  The shoes I wear do not matter.  The car I drive does not matter.  Prestige does not matter.  

God's will.  Man, do we worry about our own will and plan.  If I continue to renew my mind and set it on the things that God values...things change.  Not always circumstance, but most definitely always perception.

The rest of Romans 12 goes on to talk about humble service and love in action.  When I read it, as I've been today as I plan to lead the women's ministry at our church, it challenges me.  It gives me a little fire in the pit of my tummy.  It makes me want to go out and change the world in His name.  To love and care for His people.  To deny myself and fully submerge myself in His plan.  To open up my hands and release anything that is not of Him and prepare myself to accept whatever He has next.

To go to the next level.

That's what I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment