Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What is really goin on!?!

The other night an old high school acquaintance and I got into it on FB about the Trayvon Martin case.  Anyone who knows me knows that this case has been on my radar and tugs at every fiber of my social worker, momma bear and humanitarian heart.  Whatever you may or may not know or believe about the case...believe this.  Trayvon Martin did not deserve to die that night and his admitted killer should have been arrested.

I do not understand why people are so afraid to say that there are racial biases involved in this case.  Forget this case....this country.

I've never been afraid to "go there".  To say things that others are thinking but won't say.  To speak difficult words and not care if it makes someone "uncomfortable".  Why are we afraid of uncomfortable?  Isn't that part of the problem anyway?  Too many people want to pretend the problems aren't real because it really is something of the past that if we just let die it would go away.

Maybe it's because my husband is black and that makes 1/2 of my family black (I don't do inlaws--family is family) I see things differently?  Maybe it's because the majority of my adult life every job I've held has been in an office of predominantly black staff as well as predominantly black clientèle that I know stereotypes are so very often far from the truth.  Maybe it's because I love people and so I try to take individuals at face value.  I don't know.  But I believe one thing.  Trayvon Martin is dead because of fear and stereotypes and suspicion and ignorance.

Here is the raw, real truth.  And why the acquaintance the other day so angered me with her cold, inability to see the coin from the other side.

I think of any of my own sons.  Who are not perfect.  So if anyone "uncovered" their history they'd find a handful of poor choices.  Who have been suspended.  Who have been in fights.  Who have broken our rules from time to time.  But good kids.  Loving kids.  Fun kids with their futures ahead of them.  Silly brothers who pick on each other and also stick up for each other.  Who love sports and girls and friends.  Who eat skittles and drink Nestea and wear hoodies.  With the hoodies up.  Definitely when it's raining and even sometimes when it's not.  Who put their hands in their pants at times because they are just chillin.  Who have been taught to be aware of their surroundings.

I think of them walking home from the store alone.  They walk home from places.  That's normal teen stuff.  Marlon and I are always telling them-stay together, but walk with purpose, don't act foolishly, you are a group of young black boys so you have to be extra careful...people might say and do dumb stuff.  Don't react, keep walking, don't wrestle and do stuff that will draw attention to yourself.  I hate having to do that.  But it's the world we live in.  And it's reality.

Do all parents have conversations with their kids to be respectful and mature.  Yes, I'm sure.  But do they NEED to have the conversation so that they stay ALIVE?!?  I'm sure not.  It will never be a reality many of you will have to live.

But that doesn't mean it shouldn't scare and anger the heck outta you.

George Zimmerman not arrested means that it is okay to shoot and kill who we want based on our suspicions.  (that is if you even believe Trayvon looked suspicious because he was black and wearing a hoodie).  George Zimmerman not arrested means that the police are now deciding what laws are carried out and what laws are not.  (I'm sorry-I know a few officers who I most certainly do not want playing judge and jury)  George Zimmerman not arrested means that it is okay to play vigilante and really it's okay to dole out death sentences to people who don't look like they belong in a neighborhood.  George Zimmerman not being arrested means I have to explain yet again to my sons why they have to be so very extra careful in how they walk, carry themselves, dress.

The reason this case matters, other than the obvious reasons...is that it is one of those times in history when we can all do a self check, educate ourselves and choose love.

Self check.  Really think honestly and earnestly about what you think about this case.  What are your biases?  Do you think it's no big deal and wish people would stop talking about it?  Do you have anger toward white or black people because of it?  Where are your fears coming from if you have them?  If you aren't concerned-why?  If you think it doesn't affect you-why?  Do you have racist tendencies and maybe never realized it?  Do you find yourself slipping into sterotypical ideas about people before getting to know them?

Educate.  Racial profiling is real.  Shopping black is real.  Driving black is real. The great divide in our judicial system is real.  Find authors you respect and read up on both sides of the coin if you choose.  Listen to what people are saying.  Ask questions.  Admit shortcomings.  Learn.  It is not okay to be ignorant and play dumb.  This is not the time to play ostrich.

Love.  We can't allow hate to win.  Jesus has overcome and he has defeated death and sin.  Love doesn't mean being silent.  Love doesn't mean pretending things aren't happening.  Love is real and honest and has integrity and covers sin.  Love conquers.  But love, real love, is messy and dirty and involves ownership and forgiveness and acceptance.  Not tolerance.  Love. 

My heart is full and I know that from my heart I could write more.   But I can't because my soul is crying out and has nothing left to give.  It's always times like these that I fall to my knees and call out to Him.  He is my refuge and strength and I can't imagine living a day without Him.

Lord have mercy.

That's what I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment