Friday, March 23, 2012

Sticks & stones?

'Sticks & stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me!'

Maybe you were taught this little quote when you were growing up to instill a sense of strength if you were being teased.

What a crock.

Because usually bones heal much more quickly than the heart.

Because usually physical brokenness is apparent with a cast, splint or crutches while a broken spirit is masked by defense mechanisms and fake smiles.

Why are we so quick to continue doling that quote out to our kids? 

Okay.  Let's be real, I can hear the push back already.

Mindy, we don't want a bunch of wimpy cry babies on our hands.  Mindy, we don't want uber sensitive kids who can't take a little joke.  Mindy, it's a rite of passage of growing up.  Everyone is teased about something!

My response to that?  Blah, blah.  Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I want my kids to know that yes, kids tease and joke.  Often times friends especially play practical jokes, have inside jokes, call each other names...all in good fun.  Sometimes it might cut a little too deep, but it is easily forgiven because there is love there.

I also want my kids to know that they do not have to put up with being called names.  And they had better stand up for others if they hear them being called names as well.  I want them to know their value is not more or less than any one else that they interact with.  I want them to know that words have immense power and so we should use them wisely.  This also means we can exercise them.

I want them to have a voice.

That's what I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment