Thursday, March 29, 2012

G'head Weezy....

What are your goals?

If you're like me, you probably have a few different goals set.  Some might be those pie in the sky kind of goals...some might be long term goals like a bucket list of sorts and others might be goals that are set because of work or school or family dynamics.  Like to get through Christmas without boppin your cousin on the head.  Or to get through your child's terrible twos without losing all of your hair.

Tonight I saw one of my sons accomplish a goal that he just set last week.  And surpass his expectations.

Elijah is the kind of kid that will try anything once. So when he came home from track practice the other night and said, 'I'm running the 2 mile on Thursday', Marlon kind of laughed and I thought maybe he was taking a bet.  He's never run long distance.  As we neared tonight, I was half expecting him to come home one night and say, 'Changed my mind'.  But he didn't.

He was pushing himself during practice.  Marlon kept telling him not to talk in absolutes so that he wouldn't be disappointed.  I kept asking him if he was worried.  Yesterday he came home and ran around the river.  When Isaiah got home from a track meet he told him he probably shouldn't have done that; it's not good to do that before a meet.  I must admit it made me a little worried.  But he was determined.

He did his jumps today. And then had pretty much the entire meet to wait.  And I could see it in his eyes.  He was ready.  Then it was time.  

And he chopped away at those 20 laps like he was born to run distance.

If you know Elijah, you know he is a goofy kid.  Heeeee...lairrrrrr...iiiii....ussssss!!  He can put a smile on anyone's face....he says the most random stuff...he does not let a lot get to him.  Because of this, I think, he is often not taken seriously and I think many coaches and teachers don't invest in him the way they could.  Because he is one of THE most devoted and loyal kids I know, so if you ever got him locked in??  He'd be your ride or die.  I think people miss out by selling him short.

Tonight, tonight this boy was driven.  Determined.  And he delivered.

Watching him...seeing the focus on his face....believing that he was going to do this....I thought to myself, I'm watching him soar.

You know that moment parents, don't you?  We have it from time to time with our kids.  Not necessarily those big milestone soar moments like becoming a teenager, graduation, etc....but those off the cuff, unexpected moments when your heart swells at the sight of your child coming into their own.  Seeing them accomplish a task that was important to them.  And nail it.

He soared. 


G'head Weezy.


That's what I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment