Sunday, March 25, 2012

Compassion...do we get it?

What is compassion?

If you look up the word, most definitions state something to the effect of a deep sympathy, care, concern for another who has experienced misfortune or suffering...accompanied by the desire to relieve it.

Um.  What's that last part?

...accompanied by the desire to relieve it.

Excuse me, could you rephrase that?

...along with the willingness to alleviate it.

Whoa.  How often do we get that wrong.

As a believer, I'm told to have compassion.  We all know the 'Good Samaritan' story and we all know that Colossians tells us to clothe ourselves with compassion.  

Sometimes it's even made easy for us.  Kind of like a compassion connect the dots so to speak.  We can give money to show that we have compassion for others.  We can pray for people who are hurting and we certainly have compassion for people who are poor.  I mean really, where else are the clothes that don't fit me going to go?

Sometimes it's given celebrity.  Kind of like a 'Who's Who?' of compassion.  Actors, singers, artists...people in "positions of power" find organizations whose mission matches theirs and then give their name and money to help the cause.  If one doesn't exist that they can get on board with then they can always make their own if they are popular enough.

Why do we so often think that material things are the way to relieve it?  Sometimes I think we get things so twisted. 

Look again at the definition.


Deep sympathy, care, concern.
Another who has experienced misfortune or suffering.
Desire to relieve it.


I think we are compassionate when we want and to who we want.  We aren't really clothing ourselves so much as we are adding an accessory. Don't agree?

Unwashed homeless man blocking the sidewalk asking for food.  I mean really, isn't there a soup kitchen somewhere he could get a meal from?  I can hardly give him money because he'll just use it for alcohol or something.  I sure hope he isn't going to rob me.


Sad little girl lost in the mall.  Oh goodness, her parents must be freaking out.  Oh the poor thing.  Let me help you stop crying and find your mom.  Don't worry I'll stay with you until they find her.  If I buy her an ice cream that should cheer her up.


Now please believe this....I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the second scenario.  But please check yourself if you think there is NOTHING wrong with the first.


We need to step it up and do better church.
We need to examine ourselves and our hearts.
Do they really break for what breaks his or is that just a line in a song we sing together during corporate worship?


We can not decide who we are going to have compassion for.  We either possess it.  Or we don't.


Because if it is authentic and of Him....then we are covered in it and function from it.


If it is part of the fabric of who we are...then the desire to care for others is not an afterthought.  It's not fickle.  It's not dependent on the kind of day we are having. 

Sometimes people do not need just our kindness.  Sometimes people don't need just our fitting scripture verse.  Sometimes people don't need just our money or our stuff.  

They need our compassion.

They need our hearts to break and be moved into action to find ways to alleviate their pain and hurt.  

It's time church.  It's time to roll up our sleeves and get a little dirty.

That's what I got today.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!
    I had an ephipany about 10 years ago when a man came to my car window, in a not so great neighborhood (just a couple blocks from the Joy House), asking for money.
    My then 10 year old daughter & her best friend were in the back seat. We had just been at "Winter Jam", a Christian music festival celebrating my daughter's arrival at double digits.
    "Sorry. I don't have any money for you" spoken through a barely cracked open window... The girls both asked if THEY could give him money. I told them No. He would probably just use it to buy alcohol or drugs anyway. We pulled out of that gas station & God said "What are you teaching my children? Have I not called you to serve?" My heart sank with the weight of what I had just demonstrated. I turned my car around, drove back to that man & gave him all the cash I had. As we drove away, the girls watched intently. When the man crossed the street & walked towards a liquor store, I heard the girls say "you were right."
    My heart sank again. Plummeted, really.
    I said, with only words God could have given, "It doesn't matter."
    I went on to explain that we had done what we were called to do. Serve. Help. Care. It didnt matter what he was going to do with it. only that we answer the call.
    From there we went on to put our faith in action, by serving in shelters, raising funds, educating our scouts group, but I have never forgotten that day or that simple, basic message that is the starting point of a life's purpose.
    We answered the call. We did what He wanted us to do. With no conditions, no strings. We served.
    I never drive pass a person standing on the side of the road, hoping for some change with out thinking about this.
    Which means I never just drive by. I hope that those two little girls don't either.

    ReplyDelete