Friday, February 10, 2017

Before My Heart Explodes #5

I am STRONGLY opposed to the stupid Muslim Ban, a wall and any process that does not allow individuals--HUMAN BEINGS--the opportunity to live in the United States.

I understand that we have concern for safety and those that might wish to do us harm....but....there is currently not an accessible, reasonable and affordable way for many to come. There is not equitable opportunity and path to citizenship for 'foreigners' from certain countries.  That isn't whining or exaggerating. That is true.  Feel free to do some research and find out about it.  Let's do some leg work with regards to our viewpoints and have educated opinions rooted in reality.  I challenge us to know a little bit about the things we so passionately spew about on social media.

Before I get too far here are a few little facts regarding the bad hombres in Mexico. ***I realize there are concerns with many other countries but I'm Mexican...I've been to Mexico (and not just vacay to Cozumel) and I know individuals who are in America illegally. So that's where I'm lingering.***

~For just a VACATION or VISIT to the US...to visit family, to take a trip, for vacation....the cost is between 300-400 American dollars. Per person. Mind you minimum wage in Mexico is approximately 4 American dollars per hour.
~The fee is NON REFUNDABLE. Do you get that?  If you don't get approved? You don't get your money back!!
~You can apply online but an in person interview is required along with about 10-15 different kinds of documentation.
~You need to provide proof about why you are going and why you will return,. Sometimes sponsorship is even needed from a group or organization IN THE U.S.!!!

If you didn't know these things....and this is just 4 basic things about one country....imagine what you don't know about immigration, deportation, citizenship.  We can't all be experts.  But we can easily dig a little if we want to know more than the average person. Or the president.  I challenge you to do so if this is something that is important to you. Whether you desire the wall or not....let's try and challenge ourselves to understand as much as we can about this issue. Let's stop running around out of fear and making careless comments that may or may not even be true.

So now I'm going to move onto what I really am struggling with today. And actually have been for many many days.  I have been hesistant to write this blog because I do not want to sound angry. But I am a little angry if I'm honest.  So.... **shoulder shrug**

Why are so many opposed to immigrants coming to this country?  When and how did that happen when supposedly we are a nation of immigrants?  You remember....Ellis Island?  Actually all the way back to the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.  Remember there was a whole slew of folks that inhabited this land when "we" arrived. Who the hell is the we anymore anyway??  Like Texas?  If we didn't decide we wanted it....actually was Mexico.  Mexican Texas?? Never heard of it....yeah they don't teach that a lot in high school history.  Look it up. I swear I'm not joking.  Please people, let's start to have knowledge and understanding about the things we are passionate about and not just jump on the bandwagon!!  This is a challenge to all of us, whichever way your bandwagon is headed.

And spare me the 'I have no problem with foreigners being here if they become a citizen' argument.  That point is mute when there is not a reasonable and equitable path to citizenship.  That point is mute when we talk about a southern wall...but not a northern wall (there are actually more overstayed visas from Canadians vs Mexicans by the way) and when we cherry pick which countries we've just decided to say no to?

Kind of like.....Don't treat all cops the same! Not all cops are bad! Buuuuttttttt. Totally understand treating all Muslims the same. GTFOH.

Sorry. I digress.

What are we afraid of??
Terrorists?  Do you know the kind of crazy we grow right here in the US...Dylan Roof anyone!! Even #45 himself said let's not worry about the murderers in Russia when we have our own here.
Differences?  Praise God...not everyone looks like me, eats like me, dresses like me, decorates their house like me, dances like me! This should be celebrated!
Joblessness?  Give me a fricken break.  Give me the names of 5 people you know who literally lost an actual job they applied for because it was given instead to an undocumented person?

We are selfish.  As individuals we are so incredibly selfish.  And that selfishness has spilled into the way many want the country run.

We want laws that benefit us.  Not the entirety of our nation.  Us.
We want tax breaks that benefit us. Not the entirety of our nation. Us.
We want to be 'safe' whatever that means....from 'them'.
We want what's coming to us. And we want it now.

But.
We don't win. Unless we all win.
And we don't grow. Unless we all grow.

A garden doesn't flourish if ALL of it isn't watered, tilled and harvested.
A community doesn't flourish if ALL of it isn't safe, healthy and productive.

The garden?  Some vegetables need more loving care. More attention. Some just need an occasional once over. So you give what's needed to each.  And in the end...you are so glad to have all of the vegetables represented.  What a feast!!
A community?  Some folks need more loving care. More attention. Some just need an occasional once over. So why can't we give what's needed to each?  In the end....wouldn't it be beautiful to have a feast of everyone represented?

I can't get with a wall.
I can't get with a ban.
I can't get with inhumane laws.
I can't get with inequality.
I can't get with hate.

I need my garden to be filled with all the fruits and all the veggies. 

Guess I'm just greedy like that.


That's what I got today.




















No comments:

Post a Comment