Monday, January 30, 2017

Just a little curve in the road I guess....

I have some sobering news to share.

So today while I was in a meeting at work we got an email that all of us who have been at the company for less than a year are being given a 3 month 'period of review'.  I guess there's been so many issues in the past with 'newbies' that they want to press pause and make sure we are going to work out.  And the crazy part?? It was effective immediately.  Like I didn't even get the email until 2 1/2 hours later because of my appointment.

Super crazy.  I am super stressed if I'm honest.  It's totally out of left field. I mean when the new company 'bought' us there was talk that they might try to get rid of some of us, they were going to clean house of everyone new because we didn't know as much...there was even rumors that the new boss had planned on letting everyone go who has been working less than a year...but decided instead on this 'period of review'. It's even more frustrating because I can't really talk to anyone in charge about it because we just got this new parent company...can't talk to the 'seasoned' employees because it doesn't affect them...so in essence all of us newbies are like, 'what the hell?!?'

So basically during this review period a few things are going to be affected.  The email spelled out the process for us.

Inspection: Our work is going to be extra scrutinized. From the sounds of it, we can basically expect every little detail being reviewed with a fine tooth comb.  I do my work, but this makes me super anxious because I am human after all and definitely not perfect.  It also makes me a little irritated because I just had a 6 month review and that went pretty well. I am new, so some things I don't even know how to do yet...but it's going to be scrutinized?!?  Guys!! We are talking April 30th!!

Benefits: Any option for getting bonuses and ordering supplies is suspended during this time. It's almost like they want to make sure we are 'worthy' of the perks.  We can't ask off any time and will be penalized doubly if we are ill or use emergency sick time.  It's almost like we're being suspended or held accountable in the same way employees who are under disciplinary action are.  Guys!! We are talking April 30!!!

Hold: This piece has me sooo frustrated I guess. We aren't able to see our participants during this time. They want us to come to an office, basically like a holding place, and sit in seminars and trainings to relearn everything that we've learned already. Meanwhile it's like the world is on hold and we can't move forward with paperwork, processing, planning, relationship building....all of the things that make our job, well; our job. Guys!! We are talking April 30th!!

Pay: This. is the kicker. We aren't going to get PAID during this time. They will compensate us with a stipend at the end of the 3 months provided we pass their review...but that doesn't really help me or my family DURING the stupid process.  Like, is that even legal? I guess I'm going to need to find an employment lawyer.  Guys!! We are talking April 30th!!

I was so afraid to tell anyone. I mean, one it's kind of demoralizing.  Even though I know it's not my fault.  It just feels wrong and dirty almost. Two, I am panicked.  How in the world are we going to sustain until April 30th!!!  I did share with a close friend I work with who has been there for a few years and she actually said to me, 'Mindy. Relax, it's 3 months. That's not a big deal.'  I couldn't believe it.  Easy for her to say.  Her job is fine. Her family won't be affected. Her livelihood isn't under attack.  Another coworker on my team told me that God always has a plan. Seriously? Believer or not...not exactly helpful in the moments after reading the email.

So I'm hoping and praying that this will end and that they will reconsider. That if enough of us speak up and speak out it will change and they'll reconsider. But I'm not hopeful. 

If any of you are willing...able to help out...prayer is great but let me know if you hear of other jobs...maybe would be able to make us a few meals...I plan on selling some things to help out...anything really.  Appreciate it so.  Just have to figure out how to get through these 3 months.




Are you with me?

Can you feel my pain and frustration?

I'm hoping you can empathize. Understand.

                                     


And then.

Imagine those 3 months....or 90 days being stuck in limbo....estranged from your country that was and not being allowed into the country that was to be.

This isn't happening to me.
But it is happening.

Because every time someone says with regards to the Refugee/Muslim ban...


It's only 90 days.
It's not forever.
What is 3 months.


We're talking about the end of April. No home to return to.  No home to come to.


And it's what I needed to share  Before my Heart Explodes. Part 3.



That's what I got today.



No comments:

Post a Comment