Saturday, June 16, 2018

My dad.






So my dad.

He really might be one of the best humans ever.

When I was little my dad was like a super hero. He was strong and brave. He was fun and silly. He was tough and sensitive.  My dad made funny faces. He talked in different voices. He pretended to be different characters like Little Boy Jackson and the Hulk. I remember once he actually tore off one of his t-shirts for effect with my cousins. We watched scary movies together and man could he dance! (still can) He worked hard and my sister and I had him wrapped around our finger.  I could share story after story of him being there. Of him stepping up. Of him exuding love and laughter.  From his forgetfulness to his devotion....he does everything larger than life.

I didn't know the things I would find out later. That his life wasn't easy like he worked hard to make mine. That he enlisted so his brothers wouldn't have to and was sent to Vietnam to proudly fight in a war only to return to hate. That he made mistakes and got in trouble. That his heart was broken.  That he almost didn't make it.

Finding those things out as I got older and could understand more only made me love him more.  He fought back against the darkest demons that haunt someone who has seen what he's seen so that he could live a full and free life....so that he could love.

He is honor embodied. And I am so thankful he's my daddy.



No comments:

Post a Comment